Domestic Violence

hcdao-programs_domestic-violence.jpgDomestic violence, specifically intimate partner crimes, are amongst the most serious and dangerous in our community. Intimate partner violence includes violence involving a current or past dating partner or spouse and spans age, gender, economic status and often includes threats and violence against animals.

The Domestic Violence Division (DVD) is a specialized multidisciplinary team working together to increase the safety of survivors and the accountability of offenders.

This group of specially trained prosecutors, social workers and support staff handles cases involving intimate partner violence, elder abuse, and animal cruelty, in addition to representing individuals seeking protective orders free-of-cost.

Our mission is to end domestic violence by educating and empowering families with appropriate resolutions, service referrals, and safety measures and to seek justice on behalf of victims, holding abusers accountable for their acts and preventing homicides.

24-Hour Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-SAFE (7233)

24-Hour Suicide Prevention Call or text 988

Walk-in Resources

If this is an emergency, call 911

AnNisa Hope Center
7100 Regency Square Blvd. #290, Houston 77036

Bay Area Turning Point
210 Walnut St., Webster 77598

The Bridge Over Troubled Waters
2811 Allen-Genoa Road, Pasadena 77504

Crisis Intervention of Houston
5322 W. Bellfort Ave., Houston 77035
Phone: 832-416-1199
Text: 281-201-4430


Family Time Crisis and Counseling Center
1203 S. Houston Ave., Humble 77338

Houston Area Women's Center
3077 El Camino St., Houston 77054

Katy Christian Ministries
3506 Porter Road, Katy 77493

Montrose Center
401 Branard St., Houston 77006

  • Where are you located?


    We are at 1201 Franklin on the second floor. Exit the elevator and take a left. At the end of the hallway, take a right into Victim Services.

    Here's a map to the building.

  • How long does it take for most cases to work their way through the court system?


    It can take years for some criminal cases to be completed. Please know that regardless of how long the process takes, your case is important to us and our team is here to assist you in any way we can.

  • Does your office provide interpreters?


    We use a language service to communicate in almost any language, including American Sign Language. We have caseworkers who speak a variety of languages.

  • How do I find out which prosecutor is assigned to my case?


    You may call us at 713-274-1900 and our staff will connect you with the prosecutor assigned to your case.

  • Who ultimately decides punishment in a case?


    In most cases the prosecutor in the case will present a sentencing offer, which could be prison time or probation. This decision is based on a full evaluation of the applicable laws and facts of the case, including the opinion of the victim or the guardian of the victim.

    If the defendant chooses to decline the State’s offer, then in some cases they can plea to be sentenced by a judge or exercise their right to a jury trial. If the case is goes to trial and the defendant is found guilty by the jury, the defendant may choose to be sentenced by the judge or the jury.

  • How can I obtain a protective order?


    To obtain a protective order, you will first meet with a specially trained domestic violence caseworker or social worker who will assist you with documenting a statement and preparing a file for review by a domestic violence prosecutor. Upon prosecutor approval, an application is filed in family court. You will then receive a letter regarding a court date. It is imperative to attend the court hearing in person or your case may be dismissed. View more information on protective orders here.

  • What is a Magistrates Order of Emergency Protection (MOEP)?


    A MOEP can be requested once a defendant has been charged with a family violence crime and has been arrested. They can be requested by the victim, law enforcement or the prosecutor and is only issued if a criminal case has been filed. MOEPs are generally active for 61-91 days depending on the type of case filed and are active even if a criminal case is dismissed.

  • What can I do increase my safety?


    If you believe you are in immediate danger, call 911.

    • Choose a safe place to go if you leave your home.
    • Practice getting out of your home safely by identifying escape routes.
    • Pack a bag and keep it at the home of a close relative or friend.
    • Identify one or more neighbors who you can ask to call the police if they hear a disturbance coming from your home.
    • Devise a code word or signal to use with your children, family, friends and neighbors when you need the police.
    • If you believe an argument or incident is going to occur, leave if possible. If not, try to move to a room where you have access to an exit and/or a phone. Stay away from any room without an outside door or window or a room with items that could be used as weapons such as a kitchen or garage.
    • Use your own instincts and judgment. If the situation is very dangerous, do whatever is necessary to be safe. This may mean giving the abuser what they want to calm them down.
    • If possible, keep your cell phone with you at all times.
  • Who else can I contact for assistance?


    Visit Victim Resources or call 713-274-0211