Elder Abuse

old-hands.jpgProsecutors assigned to the Elder Abuse Section handle cases involving physical, sexual or financial abuse against the elderly. They also handle neglect-related homicides and illegal boarding homes. “Elderly individuals” include anyone 65 or older.

The Elder Abuse Section collaborates with the Senior Justice Assessment Center, Texas Adult Protective Services, and Elder Abuse Fatality Review Team (EAFRT), Better Business Bureau (BBB), and local law enforcement to combat elder abuse.

To contact the Elder Abuse Section, please call 713-274-1508.

  • Where are you located?


    We are at 1201 Franklin on the second floor. Exit the elevator bank and take a left. At the end of
    the hallway, take a right into Victim Services.

    Here's a map to the building. 

  • Does your office provide interpreters?


    We use a language service to communicate in almost any language, including American Sign Language. We have caseworkers who speak a variety of languages.

  • How long does it take for most cases to work their way through the court system?


    It can take years for some criminal cases to be completed. Please know that regardless of how long the process takes, your case is important to us and our team is here to assist you in any way we can.

  • How do I find out which prosecutor is assigned to my case?


    You may call us at 713-274-1508 and our staff will connect you with the prosecutor assigned to your case.

  • Who ultimately decides punishment in a case?


    In most cases the prosecutor in the case will present a sentencing offer, which could be prison time or probation. This decision is based on a full evaluation of the applicable laws and facts of the case, including the opinion of the victim or the guardian of the victim.

    If the defendant chooses to decline the State’s offer, then in some cases they can plea to be sentenced by a judge or exercise their right to a jury trial. If the case is goes to trial and the defendant is found guilty by the jury, the defendant may choose to be sentenced by the judge or the jury.

  • Who else can I contact for assistance?


    Please view our Community Partners page for more resources.