Houston Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for Killing Stranger in Independence Heights

Houston Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for Killing Stranger in Independence Heights

A Houston man was sentenced to life in prison late Thursday after being convicted of murder for killing a stranger in Independence Heights in 2021, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg announced.

“This is tragic not just for the family who lost a loved one, but for the entire community that he threatened,” Ogg said. “This man put so many people in danger, including first responders, that the appropriate result is that he spends the rest of his life in prison.”

Andra Foster, 46, was convicted of murder for shooting 28-year-old Guadalupe Martinez near a convenience store in the 8400 block of North Main about 2 p.m. on January 25, 2021.

Witnesses said Foster, who was dressed in blue overalls and a yellow shirt, left his mother’s home near North Main waving a pistol as he walked down the street.

Near the convenience store, he confronted Martinez, who was the driver in a stopped car, and Martinez’s passenger, who were both strangers to Foster.

Foster was shouting at the two men in the car and pointing the gun at them. After the passenger opened his door to get away from the scene, Foster walked to the open passenger side door and fired at least once, hitting Martinez in the side.

Foster then chased the passenger into the convenience store, where he was seen on surveillance video brandishing the firearm. He left a few minutes later and headed back through the neighborhood to his mother’s home.

Houston Fire Department paramedics who responded to the chaotic scene could not immediately attend to Martinez because Foster was still in the area, waving his gun around. Martinez was eventually taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Officers with the Houston Police Department also responded to the scene and found Foster in the front yard of his mother’s home minutes after the shooting.

When the officer shouted commands at Foster to drop his gun, Foster pointed the weapon at the officer and began a shootout with police. Foster was hit at least once, but did not put down his gun.

Instead, Foster ran behind the house. When police officers followed, he fired more shots at them. The police officer again shouted commands at Foster to put down his gun. He continued to point his gun at the police and the same police officer shot him again. One of the bullets hit Foster’s arm, finally causing him to drop his gun.

The police were then able to take Foster into custody and performed first aid. He was taken to the hospital and survived his wounds.

Foster testified during his trial that he would not have put down his gun if he had not been shot. He did not give a reason for the rampage.

The officer-involved shooting was investigated by the HPD Special Investigations Unit, the Internal Affairs Division and the Harris County District Attorney's Office. The HPD officer was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Assistant District Attorney Heather Axline, who is a chief in the DA’s trial bureau, and ADA Tyler Arner, prosecuted the four-day trial.

“This man was hunting human beings in broad daylight on a Monday afternoon as he walked down North Main,” Axline said. “This is the kind of murder and police shootout that they make horror films about – he terrorized everyone in this community.”

State District Judge Robert Johnson determined punishment and sentenced Foster to the maximum sentence of life in prison. He must serve at least 30 years before he will be eligible for parole.